Monday, July 11, 2016

Event: 2016 Global Taste of Korea Contest

Photo courtesy of Korean Cultural Center in the Philippines

Last 2nd of July 2016, the Korean Cultural Center (KCC) in the Philippines hosted the 2016 Global Taste of Korea Contest. It is a yearly event where people, with passion in cooking Korean cuisine, whether an amateur or a professional can join.

The Philippine leg of this competition was held at the Lyceum of the Philippines University – Culinary Arts Center in Intramuros, Manila where the first placer will win Php 30,000 in cash plus an all-expense paid trip to Korea to represent the country on the grand finals. 

Aside from the cooking competition, KCC also prepared other programs for those who will be at the event. I was able to attend as a guest by registering online to get an RSVP. I regret not being able to take photos because I tried taking video footage instead and it didn't work out the way I want it to be.

Some guests attended workshops in making Kimchi and Korean Lunch Box while others like myself watched video presentations on how to cook Korean dishes. I get to taste Korean food such as Kimchi Bokkeumbap and Bulgogi. There are also sampling booths at the hallway where you can try some Korean snacks like Peppero, Choco Pie, and Banana Milk. Korean food staples like Kimchi, Curry Rice, and Dumplings were also available. The only downside was, these stuff are not up for sale (except for the Peppero) it was just there for food sampling purposes only.

 Photo courtesy of Korean Cultural Center in the Philippines

Korean students also presented a cooking demo of Tteokbokki, a popular Korean street food made of cylindrical rice cakes smothered with gochujang or Korean chili paste. We were given an opportunity to sample it as well so I dig in. It has a unique flavor, sweet and spicy at the same time. They are also kind enough to prepare Pat Bing Su, Korea’s version of our very own halo halo. It feels like I’m on a food coma after eating everything that they offered!

Aside from the food, we also enjoyed raffle prizes and other freebies. Yes, I did won something from the raffle draw! I get to bring home this Easy Korean Cooking cook book. Cool right? Now, I can make other stuff than just my usual Kimchi Jjigae and Kimbap. 



I really had a good time at the event and I admire how KCC is actively promoting the Korean culture not just here in the Philippines but all around the globe. How about you? Have you attended any cultural events lately? Share your experience at the comment section below.



See you soon! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment